Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Stress down and some numbers improved

On Sunday (April 21), I went to the club, where I did a 45-minute elliptical and lifted weights before coming home. I mowed the lawn and did significant spring cleanup yard work. I attended a Prior Lake Mudcats baseball game (VS Belle Plain) at 2:00 PM. A friend's boyfriend plays for the team, but I do not need any encouragement for a town ball game! It was the season opener, and there were plenty of mistakes. The Mudcats lost 5 to 2.  

For the first time in days, there were low winds. When I came home, I went for a 6-mile bike ride. I was tired, but it was a nice ride on a calm night.

 

On Monday (April 22), I had my first annual doctor's appointment since retiring. I was surprised to weigh 314 pounds. That may seem high, but I was close to 330 pounds before I retired. It was rewarding to see that, for sure!  I have not been trying anything new!  I assume escaping that toxic work environment and retiring reduced issues that cause weight gain?


We also ran my blood vitals and determined if I was still having any issues. When I compare this to other results, it isn't impressive, and it shows that my iron deficiency anemia is still a problem. Here are some numbers:

  • MCH was low at 22.9 - the lowest since I was hospitalized in 2017.
  • MCHC was low at 29.9 - again lowest since the 2017 hospitalization
  • RDW was low at 18% - stable for the past four years, yet still low.
  • MCV was low at 77 - again the lowest since the 2017 hospitalization 
  • Hemoglobin was low at 13.4, just under the minimum 13.5 recommended
  • Iron was low at 30 - The last time I was above the low threshold of 35 was after a 2021 infusion.  My recent infusions did nothing!
  • The Iron Saturation Index is at 8%, where 20 % is the minimum! =It has been low since 2017!
  • Ferritin was low at 16, where 26 is the minimum required.  I have now topped 18 since 2017

On Tuesday, I was up at 7:30 AM after not sleeping well and was disappointed in the blood results. I did not take any sleeping aids, which I'm trying not to take just to get into a regular pattern post-retirement. I went to the club at about 8:00 AM and did a full 60 minutes, 5.5 miles on the elliptical trainer. For the first time in years, the hour was simple. I lifted weights for an hour. The workout felt GREAT!


One funny note is I take over-the-counter Nexium, which I buy from Amazon or Costco for $40 for a 90-day supply.  My doctor said it may be covered by insurance and prescribed it for me. It was covered by insurance, but my co-pay was $78. I could 


I had lunch with a friend at 11:30 AM at Clancy's in Jordan, Minnesota. It was the lowest-cost meal I can recall in years. We both had two-piece chicken meals for a total of $16! I was shocked. My last lunch in Edina was $17 just for Shelley and me, and I went to Crisp & Green before a show at the Chanhassen Dinner Theater, and it was $34!  


Carry on, my friends, Carry on! (Link to why I close my posts this way)


No comments: