Sunday, December 31, 2023

Year in review - short version

"Look at my abundance" – Karen Gibbs – RIP - August 7, 1977 (age 21)

 Many who knew Karen as we age use those words more often this year!  Life is precious, and too often, that is forgotten.  I have often used that statement as I prepare for significant life changes this year!

 

Last family photo
My 2023 started with the realization that my job was going to kill me.  The stress of the past five years has begun to take a significant health toll.  The first 25 years were outstanding, with great leadership.  Now, people need to avoid the place.  In my division, 80 percent (10 employees) have not been in their position for over 18 months.  Three are replacements for people who quit after a few months, and we may see more leave soon.  Toxic is a kind word to describe the organization.


In October, my physician provided a firm warning that if I want to continue life, things NEED TO CHANGE.  Medicine and routine blood infusions are a band-aide.  That was coupled with the death of my father, the passing of my beloved 8-year-old Golden Retriever, and a few younger friends, including Becky Schindler, who made my decision to retire early a requirement, not a choice.  I hired Becky 30 years ago and worked with her the entire time.  She passed away in 2023 at 50 years old.  I contemplated whether I would continue this job so there would be no retirement financial concerns or leave early with questionable finances? 

 


Porter myPAL

 My financial adviser forecasts that at age 92, I would be broke if I lived the retirement I planned.  That includes spending 35% more than I do now and includes inflation.  I decided being broke at 92 poor is better than being dead rich at 70.  Therefore, I put in my 6-month notice in July that I am retiring on February 2, 2024, at age 61 1/2.  I chose that day as I told my employer I wanted February 4, 2024 (2424), but that was on a Sunday, so I went with Friday, February 2 - Groundhog Day.

 

In August, I also decided to wait to cut my hair or shave until I retired.  I did something similar with COVID; my son Chris made the best comparison.  What do you think?  The kid sure has my humor!  Let me update you on the family, starting with Chris.  By the way, I will always call him Chris even though he reminds me it is Topher!  The full name is Christopher.  I like the first half, and he likes the second. It's like a glass half full or half empty, all up to preference.  Then again, if the question is unclear, the glass is full, half water and half air.

 Chris himself experienced a roller coaster for a few years.  In 2022, my only grandson, Jake, passed away.  He was born with conditions that we knew would result in a short life, yet he surpassed all expectations.  At times, I thought Jake was Chris's crutch in life.  Gave him purpose and direction.  Maybe some of my blood was passed on, as we never quit.  Jake pushed longer than anticipated, and Chris never stopped being his father.  After Jake's passing, Chris started a new chapter, including getting engaged.  Chris moved in May 2023 to Salam, Massachusetts, with his fiancé. Fortunately, he was able to retain a position with US Back.  A secure job is essential, that is for sure!  He always loved Massachusetts and lighthouses.  It was good for him to leave Fargo, where so much of his life was centered around Jake.  We communicate when we can.  I refer to Chris as my "Cats in the Cradle" child.  If you know the song, I think you will understand.


Jordan and his partner Kira live in Cary, North Carolina, with their only child, LuLu, the prized Australian Shepherd.  Kira is holding the neighbor child in the photo – no kids.  They decided I needed a granddog, so I felt I had a reason to visit.  I also love to take care of LuLu. They both needed to travel for work.  Kira travels at least once every two months.  Jordan still travels for work more frequently since COVID-19 stopped travel.  Since COVID, it is all international. Mainly Germany, Korea, Australia, and New Zealand.  

Jordan loves to bicycle.  He rode over 13,000 miles in 2022.  In March 2023, Jordan was in a severe bicycle accident.  His right shoulder was shattered, and he had bone fragments close to blood vessels that could have resulted in death.  After extensive surgeries and rehabilitation, he regained his entire movement and activities in October.  He still bikes, but running is not half of his workouts.

 

As Shelley and I prepare to retire (she is in May 2025), she decided to replace the house's windows, siding, and roof. That way, we will eliminate the need to expend funds in retirement.  

Shelley continues to be busy with seven grandchildren, ages six months to 8 years old.  Three live in Fayetteville, Arkansas, and four in Brentwood, Tennessee.  Even though we live in the same house, we can go weeks without seeing each other.  She flew to one of the locations and worked remotely every six weeks.

Look forward to retirement and making those trips together.

 


In fact, this Christmas, Shelley was in Tennessee, and I watched the fort alone.  While it may sound sad, I enjoyed the downtime.  The time to think and prepare for the new chapter in my life starts February 2, 2024.  May it be a long and enjoyable life change!


Carry on, my friends, carry on!

No comments: