Sunday, July 16, 2023

Erik's Bike shop experience, twice now

I should have known better! This is not my first time having issues with Erik’s Bike Shop. The last time I had terrible customer service and issues was about 20 years ago when I got my son his first bike. So I had hoped they would improve, but they have not. So here I sit with a $3,400 bike and have only been able to ride it 11 days this year and 8 weeks in the shop.

Last year, I wanted to replace my 8-year-old e-bike (Surly Long Haul Trucker with a Bionx D-500 kit). That bike has over 10,000 miles on it with only minor repairs.  I also have a Juiced Bike RipCurrent S and a RAD Mission.  Being a heavier rider, I have always been cautious about the spoke strength.  On June 7, 2022, I went to Erik’s Bike Shop in Eagan, where they had a sale.  There, I found the Diamondback Current (https://www.diamondback.com/current-4661), which was on sale for $3,450. 

 

Before I purchased the bike, I spoke at length with the sales staff about my concerns over my size, strength, and fear of spoke breaks.  I explained that 20 years ago, I started focusing on the spoke strength as I had issues with breaks and sought a beefier wheel.  In four of my last five bikes, no problems with the spokes.  The one issue is that I built a custom wheel and have had no issues since.  This wheel looked similar to the one I had problems with and had a rebuilt wheel completed.   The salesman said, “A properly tensioned wheel will not be an issue.” I asked again, and a second time, he said it was not an issue. So, I trusted the statements and purchased the bike.


Since my Bionx was still working well, I rode the Diamondback less than 300 miles the first year.  Then, in April of 2023, I started riding the Diamondback more.  After about 400 miles, I noticed a spoke broke at the hub.  Since I was away on vacation, I had the spoke replaced but could only ride 2 of my 7 planned vacation days!  I came home, rode about another 100 miles, and spoke broke.  That was four commutes to work on paved trails and no rough patches. So I took it to Eric’s, and over 24 days later, I got it back.  

 

I rode it less than 150 miles (6 bike commutes) and another spoke break.  On June 20, I took it back to Erik’s, expressing my disappointment about the spokes and suggesting a stronger wheel.  I was told they would call me “tomorrow” with options.  On June 23 (days later), I got a call and expressed my issues and concerns, just like when I bought it.  He suggested installing stronger spokes and said the bike should be ready on July 5.  I told them I would hope to have it for my trip out of town starting on the 8th.  I called on July 5 and was informed that the rim can handle more oversized spokes. I have also suggested a new wheel (over $225 fixed).  I told I was leaving on vacation and wanted to take the bike.  He said it should be done on July 12, but not before I leave. 

 

Frustratedly, I accepted the staff’s statements and hoped to have the bike when I returned.  Since I had not heard from them, I called them on July 16 and was informed they expected to have it ready on July 24.  The bike has been in the shop for over two months, and I rode it 11 days this year.  

  

My moral is not to trust Erik’s Bike Shop staff. I’m’ not sure how they stay in business. I have found that my bike knowledge may exceed their staff’s (who I think are more concerned with making a sale than listening to a customer’s concerns), and when I expressed concerns based on my knowledge, they said there was no issue.

 

Carry on, my friends, carry on.

1 comment:

Mike W. said...

Sorry to hear of your issues with Erik's, but glad to know you are still riding as much as always.