Sunday, May 18, 2014

Wind wind go away

 Well, it was a very cold night. I only have a 55-degree sleeping bag, and it was below 40 degrees. Jordan has a 35-degree sleeping bag, and he said he zipped it fully because it was cold. IT WAS COLD!

Morning picture of the campsite, all packed up to go!

We were up by 6:00 AM, taking about an hour to take down the site and pack. To our dismay, the campground did not have water as advertised. Fortunately for us, a neighboring camper saw our dilemma and supplied us with all the water we needed (1.5 gallons). We were facing a 60-mile ride through desolate Colorado, where there was no place to get water. We were able to escape by 7:26 AM

We were heading east and had a 12-14 MPH wind out of the southeast. We decided it was best if I continued to pull the trailer, and Jordan broke the wind, so I drafted. We averaged 12.4 MPH but walked many steep hills. With the headwind and the grade, the walking up the hills provided a break.

At about 40 miles, I needed a rest as he was spent. He just lay next to the road, and people stopped and asked if I was OK.

Is he dead?

Scary hill.  Jordan was doing 32 MPH, and Londell pulled away fast.

There was one long downhill (above) at about 45 miles. The picture makes it look small but over a mile long and downhill. I tried to use the brakes, but it caused the bike to shimmy. I did what I could to slow down but held onto the handlebar so tight. I reached 45 MPH, but my Garmin had died before the hill, and I do not know. At the bottom, we rested until the massive cramps in my hands subsided.

We finally reached Steeling, Colorado, at 1:30 PM. This was intended to be our stop for the day, but a strong southeast wind riding northeast from Sterling made us decide to continue.

I'm not sure how far we will go, but when we feel spent for the day, we will look for a place to stop and set up camp.

No comments: