Monday, June 18, 2012

Grandma's 2012

My first thought when starting this post was, "Where was a blog 28 years ago".  I have been comparing my experience at the 36th Annual Grandma's Marathon (my 28th consecutive) with past experiences.  However, I did not have a blog back then, so I did not keep a journal?  Bummer as after 28 finishes, they all run together, even two days afterward.  I did have blog entries for 2008, 2009, and 2010.  Last year was hard, and I only had 5 blog entries (2 in January and 3 in December).

My Friday could have been a better precursor to a successful weekend! Work was issue after issue, and I struggled to get away.  When I did, I went to my girlfriend's house, and we drove up in her second car, as sleeping in a Nissan Altima is easier than my Smart Four Two.  I took her car to fill up with gas, and about 5 blocks from the station, it ran out!!!  CRAP… I had to push it to the station.  I thought I would get a hand or two with Minnesota nice, but nothing.  Fortunately, the route was flat; the only issue was the entrance. I picked up speed and made it…

After that fiasco, we left Minneapolis at about 3:30 PM on Friday. I was concerned because I knew I was not as prepared as I could be. LLogging no running miles since the 2011 Grandma's Marathon means there was no preparation. I logged over 1,500 miles on my bike in the two months leading up to this attempt, but biking differs from running.

Battling traffic made the trip about 45 minutes longer than normal. However, my arrival at the DECC was perfect timing, as the 5K had finished, and much of the parking lot was clear. I picked up my packet and took a little walk around Canal Park before heading to the car to sleep.

I set my alarm for 4:45 AM as the bus/train was scheduled to leave between 5:20 AM and 6:30 AM, and I expected rain. I had a great night's sleep, which was strange as I have had so much trouble sleeping the past few months. When I woke, I was surprised to see a mostly clear sky. The weatherman was predicting thunderstorms for the day. I was happy that they missed the forecast once again!  



The train ride to the start could have been more uneventful. Got to the start, went to the Biffs', and did the final race preparations.  I truly believed this was only going to be an attempt at best.  I have been a little down, thinking this would end my consecutive Grandma's Marathon attempts.  One side hoped injury would take me out, and the other was a fighter.  I hate to quit.  More than anyone I have ever met, I hate to quit or fail!

I was worried because the sun was hot. The forecast was 65 degrees for the day with scattered thunderstorms. It was 65 degrees at 7:00 AM, and the sun was scorching. Standing at the start grid, many of the runners already had sweat from the warmth.  

This year's race started 15 minutes early, at 7:45 AM, rather than the traditional 8 AM start. I knew that I needed to run smart to have a chance at finishing.

The race start was uneventful. Took over 7 minutes to get across the start line. I was doing a 12-minute mile without much worry. Had a heart rate of about 130. Not much to worry about.  As typical for longer activities, I followed the heart rate monitor as my pace guide. I kept the heart rate in the 130-140 range.

Everything was going along fine when, at six miles, I had a loud and painful clicking in my right knee.  It was like a ratchet.  Step after step...  Click, click, click... I started to get really concerned and changed my gate and rotation, hoping to ease the issue.  I walked for a while and tried to minimize the pain and odd feeling. Then, I started to run in various ways to ease the pain.  I found a really short shuffle that was pain-free.  After the half marathon mark, I realized my brisk walk was about a minute slower than the shuffle run, and walking did not hurt.  I was beginning to think, can I finish? I have to finish!


So, I proceeded to walk briskly. I was clicking off the miles at a 15- —to 16-minute per-mile pace. It was easy, and I had built a cushion. I knew I only needed a 19-minute mile average for the rest of the race to make the cut-off. I decided this was all about the finish rather than the time.

Everything was great until mile 22, when I felt both calves, the right thigh, and my lower back start to tighten up. I focused all the mental energy I had on each step, changing each step to assure I did not get a cramp to stop me in my tracks. I had been taking S-Caps and felt I had completed a very solid regimen to keep hydrated, so I just focused. I have always said the brain can overcome so much if you know how to use it!

Shelley met me at mile 24.5 and walked the rest of the way to the finish. It was a finish like so many others, only the slowest ever. I was not disappointed, nor was I happy. It was strange that for the first time I can ever remember, it felt like I had finished a day at work, and it was time to clock out and go home. I was not happy with my job but had no intention of quitting. 

Let's see what the next week holds, although I look forward to returning to the bike!  I am surprised my knee hurts much less than the week before the race.  I noticed that last year as well. It felt better after 26.2 miles than it does with zero miles… I really enjoyed the bike rides this past year and hope that someday, I will once again look forward to running and finishing Grandma's Marathon.  When that day comes, I will make it my last as I do not want to quit without my last one being a race I enjoyed, so that positive memory will stay with me for as long as I live.

Right now, I want to focus on fighting this infection again.  I do not feel much improvement after 6 days of Amox-Clav.  It looks like a stronger option is needed, and that will limit my activities.  But I need to take action as I wake up unable to see clearly for the first 10 minutes each morning, and when I lay down to watch TV or read, within minutes, everything is blurry.  As I wrote, this is my 9th antibiotic rotation in 26 months.  I will fight and win that battle so I can win others.   

Thanks for reading, and may you all live happy lives and enjoy everything you do. Humans often take this blessing for granted, including me, who needs to feel so blessed with the health, perseverance, and success I have had for more than half my life, finishing Grandma's marathon. I still have a hard time comprehending 28 years… Wow!

3 comments:

wildknits said...

Congrats on your finish!! Good to hear your story. Amazing perseverance.

Hopefully this will be the last round of antibiotics and the cure!

Wayne said...

28 years is incredible, Londell - Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey that's me in the picture with the yellow hat and camo sweatshirt on. Funny stuff. Anyway nice job on yet another finish.
Marcus