Saturday, June 19, 2010

What... me run Grandma's again? And Finish?

In 1985, I set a goal and last year I made that goal, well half the goal. I had a goal to run Grandma's and Twin Cities Marathon 25 years in a row. My 13th year at TCM, my entry got chewed up by the postal service and returned to me weeks after the race. Never got entered and quite frankly, the cold and lack of understanding from the TCM staff really upsets me, even today, I always suggest people look at some other friendlier race! Anyway, last year I finished 25 Grandma's. (Click to see the post) I was not ever going to do that race again.

This coupled with my knee surgery last July, my bike accident last July, stress at work and then another surgery in mid-may 2010, I never envisioned I would run Grandma's nor did I want to run it. Although, I am a father first in life and would go the the end of the world for my son. He wanted to run the race and wanted me to join him. I resisted feverishly. He continued to encourage me to consider it. Long story short, I entered.

Before I start the report, it was such a boost to see Wayne Nelson several times on the course... Really kepT me positive... And after seeing Lisa at Lake Street, I felt a wave of confidence. THANKS MUCH YOU TWO!

Well, as I said I would never do again, I started my 26th consecutive Grandma's Marathon. Let me preface by saying since last July, I have logged less than 20 running miles. I have over a 1,200 miles on the bike and another large amount of walking miles, but so little running. I talked all week of there being no chance I would finish...

My son decided to run the first mile with me. A minimally impressive 12 minute mile with a HR of 130. I was pleased with how I felt... Then my son proceeded on his own to a 4:30 finish. I on the other hand, thought a good goal would be first 5 miles in 12:30 a mile or less, the next 5 miles 13 minute or less, and the same pattern to the end. This went well, for 16 miles then I started to feel a blister and cramps. I had been taking S-Caps and knew it was related to fatigue. So I decided, walk. Walk fast!!!

I was surprised I was clicking off 15:00 minutes mile walking but could only muster just over a 14 minute mile running. This was not long lived as every mile miles I dropped 10-15 seconds. By mile 22, I was at a 16 mile but a finish was in reach. I tried to jog but knew that was not a great idea. So I walked, and walked and walked. The miles clipped one after another.

My son came back and met me at mile 24 and I had a full boost of confidence. He stayed with me to Lake Street and then I got a second wind. The last two miles were in the 13-14 range and I FINISHED #26. Coming across the finish line, I cried. I cried because I never in my dreams though I would get past half way. I cried because my own son encouraged me to do the seemingly impossible. I cried because it was over.

I feel almost like I did after 77 miles of the ST 100 in 2007. My feet look the same. I have a baseball sized blister on the right foot and a smaller one on the left. But if that is the price I pay, tonight I am happy! I made my son proud, less than 5 weeks after Surgery that put me out of work for a few weeks. It is a great feeling when you finish something that seemed impossible...

Where does this take me? I do not know as I will have to see what the next two days are like, but I have one big smile on my face tonight, even though my foot is pretty painful!

Carry on my friends! Carry on!

10 comments:

Mike W. said...

Congratulations, Wayne told me you were doing it on Thursday, glad to hear you kept moving and got it down. Enjoy this one. It was special.

JojaJogger said...

Congratulations on #26!

wildknits said...

You looked good at Lake and Superior St! Fun to be there with Wayne cheering you on.

Guess this means you have to go for #30 Grandma's now, hmm?

Kel said...

Incredible accomplishment, Londell! Hope to see you back out on the trails very soon!

SteveQ said...

Way to go, tough guy!

Steve said...

Londell, there's only one word to describe your result - AWESOME!! I couldn't be happier for you. Congratulations on finding the strength within yourself to push through the pain and discomfort, and for believing in yourself. Well done!

Diane said...

Wow, way to go! You've impressed me!

Wayne said...

Well done, Londell! Very cool that your son got you to the start and you got yourself to the finish for 26! It was fun seeing you out there and I was impressed you were always in a good mood.

Beth said...

Wow!! I am so happy for you! You are one determined guy and it's wonderful that you had your son encourage you and share it with you. Geez, that is an impressive blister, too! Congratulations!!

Don said...

You did it! That's quite a story.