Wednesday, March 13, 2024

First trip as a retired citizen

As stated previously, my employer became so toxic that it was causing health issues, so I retired.  I retired about 15 months before I would have, as that is when Shelley will retire.  Living the same lifestyle, I could be broke at 90 and feel better to be broke at 90 than dead rich at 70!

As I stated before, I am unsure how my employer can be so blind to see that employees are fleeing.  In my Division, 90 percent of all employees have not been in their position for more than 18 months!  Another division has 80 percent of the people who have joined in the past 2 years.  A few employees moved on after 18 months.  

My first trip as a retiree was a drive to Cary, North Carolina, where my son lives.  He planned a 150-mile bike race, and I will crew for him later in the month.  I spent a few days with him before heading out on a solo venture of the coast.  He is swamped and needs more time to do anything during the week.

On March 12, I woke up at 8:00 AM and made my tofu meal for the next two days.  At 9 o’clock, I packed and left Cary, NC, for Carolina Beach.  It is about a 2 1/2-hour drive, mostly on freeways.  I could not check in at the campground until 3 PM, so I had plenty of time to check the sites first.  My first stop was Kure Beach Pier.  The sun was bright and 70 degrees, although there was a good wind.  The waves were not overly large.  I was lucky as until March 15, there was no reason to pay for parking and other activities.  I guess the start of the season is March 15!  I arrived just in time!


I parked and read a few chapters of Running With Sherman by Christopher McDougall.  After an hour, I ventured south to the end of the road, the Fort Fisher Ferry.  Opting not to go to the Ferry, I returned to Fort Fisher State Park.  This was totally free and a lovely beach!  I will return tomorrow!



It was about 4:00 PM when I headed to Carolina Beach State Park to check in to the campsite.  I am very fortunate to have a very secluded site.  Check-in was no issue; the set-up was easy since I slept in the car.  I decided to take a hike on a local path.  They have been doing prescribed burns, so the scenery could have been more optimal.



I drove to check out the area before returning just before dark.  As I thought I was all set to sleep, I soon realized I needed to organize more.  I almost exhausted myself with how many times I fell asleep and recalled something, like my mouthguard, which was in the suitcase!


At about 8:30 PM, I was all settled for the night. I watched two episodes of Matlock and went to sleep.


Carry on, my friends, carry on.


 

No comments: