Sunday, June 12, 2022

Are apple and oranges really opposite?

People say you compare apples and oranges when they think my analogies are way off base.  However, are apples and oranges that much different?  They’re both fruits.  They’re both rounds.  They both have a slightly tangy taste.  Both have similar fluid content.  They’re about the same size.  And they both grow on trees.  Therefore, one could argue that the old saying is not a good analogy at all?

Recently, this statement has been used when talking about weight loss.  For my whole life, I battled my weight.  For the first six months of 2022, I focussed on whole and natural foods, exercise, cutting out sugar, and avoiding processed food.  I have lost 14 pounds.  It does not matter what I eat; if I do not work out for hours each day, losing weight seems unattainable, unlike my brother, who never had any issue with weight.  He could eat three times as much as I do and never gain the tire in the middle.  I will never understand it?  I have read every theory possible, and I need clarification.  Is it time to seek help?

But what is help?  Do I see a nutritionist?  Do I know an expert on metabolism?  Do I see a medical Doctor?  Do I see a therapist?  Tried a nutritionist before, and she said I was one of the healthiest eaters she had ever reviewed.  Yet my weight increased by 2,000 to 2,400 calories a day.

Everyone states the formula for weight loss is to eat less and exercise more, and you need a calorie deficit to lose weight.  That was true when I was younger, but not now!  I think my metabolism is being destroyed; it’s more complex.

Metabolism is an adaptive mechanism; for some, we have trained our bodies to run off less fuel.  This is due to inconsistent meals that need better balance and need to be improved in high-quality nutrition.  I complain that I feel tired, have low energy, can’t sleep well, have hunger and cravings, and can’t lose weight.

I know people do Keto, low carb, fasting, or they do some drastic thing to try to get out of that holiday sugar rush that they feel like they have because they feel so gross and disgusting from the holidays.  And so they do this like a pendulum swing.  That’s the worst thing that results when we sort of swing back and forth between extremes.

That’s not healthy either, and your metabolism hates that.  It doesn’t make you feel good.  What are the best options?  Can you do a shake program for the rest of your life?  Can you do Whole 30 for the rest of your life?  Can you do Paleo for the rest of your life?  Can you do Keto for the rest of your life?  Most of us think I can’t wait to get off this to eat my favorite food. 

Many people on social media preach protein and strength training on my Instagram or in a weight loss class.  So, I need clarification.

I am going to do research to see what may be the best option.  It may confuse me, as weight loss programs are like comparing apples and oranges!

Carry on, my friends, carry on.


PRIM

No comments: