Tuesday, July 25, 2017

15 days - minor progress

So, it has been two weeks since I was released from the hospital.  When I left the hospital, I had 6.1 g/DL hemoglobin, where 15 g/ML was desired.  When I was admitted, my INR was 1.12.  After 15 days of Lovenox injections and 10 mg of Warfarin, I am at 1.8 g/ML.  Still below the 2.0 to 3.0 they desire.  So, I continue taking the medicine, hoping the numbers will increase.  I am still exhausted and not sleeping well.  I did sleep well for three days after the iron infusion, but since then, I have had abysmal sleep and fatigue.  It is hard to push onward, but what choice do I have?

I see the pathologist next week and hope to get this sorted out.  This issue, the stress from work, and concern over family members take a toll.  I am battling people I cherish, making bad choices based on other people's actions.  Most people agree reacting to some people's actions is not suitable for them.  An analogy would be if my son told me to take the medicine I need to get better, and I just refused because I want to feel better without medicine.  He would be pissed if I did something irrational and stupid like that jeopardized my health and future.  Yet people do similar actions, and they think I need to stay out of their business.  I have always said you can't control or regulate stupidity.

In one situation, a relationship went terrible where the two people were together for 16 months.  The one party wants to throw away much of their lifetime goals and objectives to try to get the relationship back, even when it is clear it is not healthy to do so, and the relationship is toxic.  No logical person would think this is a good thing, but when people get stupid, there is not much you can do to protect them.  It reminds me of the twisted thoughts of those who think their president is the most honest and fair person in the world.  Even though facts say otherwise.  But this causes stress for those who care.

The positive side effect of this illness is that I have lost 25 pounds. Of course, I could still lose 75 more pounds, but other priorities exist. I should do what the doctors and all those I discuss the issues with suggest I do, not some other action caused by out-of-control emotions. If I could get others to see that logic, life would be better for all involved.




5 comments:

wildknits said...

Thanks for the update!

Hopefully your hemoglobin has come up a bit since your hospitalization and iron infusion (blood transfusion too?).

I am curious if they have been adjusting your warfarin dose up at all in the past 2 weeks (sorry - occupational hazard, I manage anticoagulation patients - warfarin patients - as part of my job). Usually we adjust the dose of warfarin to help someone get to their goal range as quickly as possible and get them off the lovenox shots. Then we try to figure out the proper maintenance dose to keep them in range. It is different for different people, and can take some time to figure out. And is influenced by so many different things (diet, exercise, health status, alcohol use, supplements).

You are right in that it is stressful to have to sit back and watch those we care about make choices that seem bad to us. But as adults, we get to make our own choices, bad, good or indeterminate. All part of free will and autonomy. Sorry that you are going through this while also dealing with a major health crisis of your own.

Hang in there!

Londell said...

Lisa,
I started with 5 mg for five days and the count did not climb at all. So we went 7.5 mg for two days and back to 5 mg three days and slight increase. Then they went 7.5 for three days and 10 for two days. Then we went with 10 mg and I am getting checked tomorrow. So I hope tomorrow brings us closer the what we expected.

wildknits said...

I see from your other post your INR has not gone up, and they found a new clot. Frustrating.

I have patient's who are on 12.5 - 15 mg of warfarin (alternating) weekly. You may need a higher dose.

It does make me wonder what is going on medically that you are on anticoagulation and still developing blood clots!

Hang in there!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roger Peters said...

Hi Londell. Can't read your blog because the background is so dark.