Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Preganant Zone (Prednisone)

Prednisone is a synthetic corticosteroid drug that is used to treat a variety of conditions.  In my case, I was on it for several years as part of the issues infections I fought from 2009 through 2013.  I had fluid accumulation in the brain and a type of inflammation in both eyes.

Essentially, Prednisone mimicked my body’s natural hormones, which the adrenal glands produce.  When prescribed in significant doses, Prednisone helps suppress inflammation.  I also called it the pregnant zone, as it really impacted me with weight gain.  I have been off the medicine for over two years, and I am finally feeling closer to normal again!

What I have experienced is withdrawal.  I think my body and brain became dependent on Prednisone for everyday functioning.  I was not a high dose, only 30-40 mg per day.

When I went off Prednisone, it was cold turkey.  I had significant withdrawal issues.  They say it takes time for the body to make cortical on its own again.  Cortisol stimulates gluconeogenesis (glucose formation), activating antistress and anti-inflammatory pathways.   For a few years, I have had significant inflammatory issues!  I think this was a major cause.  I also have many issues I believe are related to Prednisone withdrawal.  They include:

  • Weight gain is the most dreaded side–effects of steroid use.  In addition to causing weight gain, Prednisone leads to a redistribution of body fat to undesirable places, particularly the face, back of the neck, and abdomen.  I have never been heavier than when I was on or coming off Prednisone!
  • My recent history of intense abdominal pain is a common withdrawal symptom.  The pain when I stopped taking Prednisone was debilitating at times.  Now, it is just a little pain, occasionally.
  • I often felt depressed!  My anxiety level was sky-high.  My son was driven nuts by my anxiety, yet I could never tell him of the issues I was having.  It is my problem, not his.
  • The worst has been severe body aches.  I felt, at times, I was unable to move.
  • As part of three withdrawals, I would have dizziness at a life-impacting level. 
  • The most pressing issue was fatigue.  I am expected to deal with extreme fatigue and low energy levels, as I no longer have adequate amounts of cortisol to provide the body with energy.
  • I do not have headaches, but in the past few years, I have had some headaches that would hurt more if I so much as blinked.
  • Another issue is suicidal thoughts.  While I never thought about actually taking the next step, I would rush across a bridge as I thought about leaping off the side.  This was really bad when I first discontinued Prednisone use. 
  • A frustrating issue was muscle weakness and the overall sense of malaise.
I have read quite a bit about Prednisone withdrawal.  In some cases, it has taken 12 to 24 months before experiencing a complete “recovery” back to homeostasis.  I am 28 months old, and finally, I feel like an end is in sight.  I hope I am right and things will look up in 2017.  Only more time will tell.

No comments: