Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Mother and Fundraiser

I slept until 10:30 AM, but it was not a restful sleep until about 4:00 AM.  Caring for Shelley and my mother reminds me of an overworked full-time employee in a depressing job.  Some key indicators are little exercise, lack of sleep, decreased diet quality, feeling less social, and being easily agitated.  So when I say depressing, I do not mean soda pressing like the image.  

After breakfast, I visited my mother and completed some care items.  It is so sad visiting.  It is to the point now that I ask what she did yesterday, and she says "nothing, just sat here and watched TV".  Yet my sister took her shopping for groceries Saturday, and my brother was with her yesterday.  I asked her about her last grocery trip, and she said a few weeks.  I asked about the new loaf of bread on the counter (we purchased it three days earlier), and she said it was ancient.  

I came home to prepare for a fundraising gala Shelley was required to attend.   She is the organization's treasurer and has a deep passion for the mission.  It was a typical fundraising gala night until the end when a member got up to encourage donations.  She was over the top and put on the guilt of being there and not donating to the cause.  This caused Shelley to donate an additional $500, and some friends did as well.  The MC pointed out each at the table that she knew donated and said "the rest of you, please help this organization".  Unfortunately, it took a lovely evening and turned it into a carnival. 

For being a short day in hours and few activities, I was ready to call it a night.  







No comments: