Monday, January 21, 2013

Thoughts

I woke at 7:30 AM feeling good! However, after an hour, I felt average. Breakfast was not solid; the eggs were with cauliflower and peppers. I know better! I went to work at 9:00 AM and came home at 1:30 PM. I did some photo editing, made dinner, and headed to bed at about 8 PM. I did not find it easy to fall asleep.

I asked myself, “Am I depressed and unhappy”?


Depression is not only a state of being sad. It is a disease that conquers the ability to feel emotion, whether good or bad. Depression not only involves the mind, it also consists of the body and thoughts. They say depression affects twenty percent of all Americans, some without even knowing it, at some time during their lives. Every human being is prone to depression. Men are five times more likely to commit suicide when depressed than women. Men are likelier to keep their emotions bottled up inside of them because of their role in society and because they do not have society’s permission to express their feelings openly. This sounds like ME!



Sigmund Freud (above) believed that a person’s oblivious anger over a loss weakened the “ego,” which resulted in self-hate and self-injurious behavior. Aaron Beck steered differently. He believed that depressives looked at everything in a negative light and blamed themselves for everything that went wrong. This negative thinking made situations appear much worse than held true and raised the chance of depression. Martin Seligman, an American psychologist, thought that depression came from “learned helplessness,” an idea that one cannot control the effect of happenings. All of these theories may hold true in some cases.


As stated, there are many symptoms of depression. Sadness and loss of satisfaction in things once enjoyed are probably the most known symptoms. But some symptoms are sometimes overlooked. Guilt is one symptom that coincides with depression immensely. When feelings of guilt are put on a person, they lose hope. They blame themselves for things they are not accountable for and feel hopeless. Other symptoms overlooked are insomnia and loss of appetite. Not getting enough sleep may be linked to stress and guilt. Stress is another significant factor in depression.


Depression is not a matter I take lightly. It is not something I dismiss regularly, but I will not take it to heart and find help. Hundreds of people commit suicide each day because of depression. I sometimes have those thoughts, but I have enough control to overcome them. My most significant positive aspect is exercise; I am increasing that this year. If I could lose 60 pounds, everything would be better. So, it's time to be positive!!!


Carry On my friends, Carry on!

No comments: